Open data boosting entrepreneurship at RiseUp16:
We were glad to be present at RiseUp Summit again this year for the 4th time in a row
We always focus on introducing the latest technologies, sharing experiences, knowledge, resources and best practices with the dynamic entrepreneurs and startups for empowering this ecosystem in Egypt and the region.
We had 2 interesting events this Year at RiseUp16
Jointly with Access to Knowledge for development center (AUC School of Business) we conducted a workshop on December 11th introducing to the community “How Open data can boost social entrepreneurship”
How businesses can harness the power of data
Access to knowledge team started the workshop by introductory remarks on Open data explaining the potential of open data and what it can be used for, giving examples of businesses sharing data, such as Telsa and they presented some case studies such as en2ly showcasing how can Open data improve the transportation sector in Cairo
And they highlighted how businesses can harness the power of data and that open data creates new business models that didn’t exist before
The semantic web is changing the way we use the internet
Our own Fady Ramzy InsideOut CEO presented to the attendees the following:
- The web has evolved “from web of pages to web of data”, Computers understand the meaning of what we publish on the web.
- The types of data on the internet and how to structure the content over the web in terms of open data
- How content classification enables content discovery and creates alternatives entry points and routes for contents
And Fady highlighted
- The key to break the internet is to tell stories and distribute it in an efficient way
- “Data is the current oil.” If we get data we can create new business models and change the world
- He presented the Linked open data project for Enel Electrified Vehicle charging Network and here is fady’s presentation during the workshop
- He advised attendees to build their own dataset using WordPress as WordPress CMS is still number 1
- And he explained to attendees how to structure content on WordPress using open data technology such as Wordlift
Fady also presented a demo about Wordlift to inspire social entrepreneurs in this untapped area of massive opportunities
What is Wordlift?
WordLift, by Insideout group, is a content analysis and recommendation tool for WordPress. It is a tool for publishers, newspapers and magazines to organize their content in a meaningful way, expose it better to search engines, boost their user base, website traffic, advertising and above all user experience and accordingly revenues.
Wordlift adds semantics annotations and combines information publicly available as linked open data to support editorial workflow learn more about it here
The workshop was really interesting and attendees were highly engaged and The hashtag #Opendata went trending during the workshop
Live Streaming Karm Solar annual forum
Karm Solar launched its Annual Forum as RiseUp’s first satellite event. KarmSolar is a solar technology and integration company that delivers innovative solar solutions to the agricultural, industrial, tourism and business sectors. Since its founding in 2011, KarmSolar has been Egypt’s largest private off-grid solar energy integrator, with exceptional experience in developing its award winning high-capacity solar pumping stations
The Forum featured a series of major announcements, keynote speakers and showcases
We had great pleasure to provide Karm Solar with Live streaming over their Facebook page, which had great impact by putting their online audience at the heart of the event.